Chef Chuck Fried Spinach Balls

Palline di Spinaci Fritti

Fried spinach balls are a wonderful appetizer, creamy and crunchy, full of flavors. Fresh spinach from the garden, the best ricotta you can purchase, parmigiano cheese from Italy and pungent garlic, all these ingredients together are quite tasty.

Fried Spinach Balls
5 cups fresh spinach
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup parmigiano cheese, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 eggs
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
light olive oil for frying


Wash and dry spinach leaves, chop and set aside. In a large bowl mix ricotta, parmigiano, garlic, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Add spinach and mix well, form in small balls. Dip in beaten egg then breadcrumbs. Heat oil to 350 degrees and fry 3 at at time till golden brown. Drain on cloth or paper towels, salt and serve.

12 comments:

  1. What a novel and delicious idea. I'll have a dozen please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ciao Chow Linda, They are delish!! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! You may have to remove me from the table if these were around though...I probably wouldn't share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bridgett, They are additive!! Also are good with some hot sauce! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have ANOTHER dozen, please. Linda just scoffed all of hers...
    Sounds droolsome, Chuck. How do you put yourself in terms of homemade breadcrumbs vs panko?

    Big hugs,
    Lola xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lola, Yes, these balls are to die for. I will make you a dozen or more, if you please! With homemade breadcrumbs you have more flexibility. But I always have Panko on hand because it fries so well!! Thank You, Chuck xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely trying these. Right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Live.Love.Eat, Glad you like!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Chuck. I think I am going to make these this weekend. Are these about 1" balls would you say? And whole milk ricotta? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Live.Love.Eat they are about 1 inch and I always use whole milk ricotta enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chuck, I had already made them this weekend because I hadn't heard back from you. I don't ever come back to the comments box for responses, that's why I have my email connected to my profile. Are you not able to see it or respond directly? Hmmmm. Anyhoo, they wer DELISH. I just made them into rounds to handle easier.

    Thank you, they were awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! And I used the leftover filling to spread on some Naan with slices of tomato, then baked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's great Live. Love Eat.!! Sorry I did not get back to you :( But the end result was a success!
    That put a smile on my face.I always use whole milk ricotta and the size was 1 inch or slightly larger. Sounds like the leftover filling was yummm, Naan. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete